Jailbreak iPhone 4s – The Definitive Guide
Jailbreaking or unlocking of iphones has become very popular in recent years. This is because it allows users of these devices to break free from the contracted carriers they are tethered to, and thereby overcome some of the problems of applications and systems associated with that particular network. Some people, who own a device which runs on iOS, complain that many of its features are unavailable to them. Customers who have shelled out big bucks for these expensive devices may reason that the big companies they buy from should not be able to dictate how they use their phones, once they have bought them. For these reasons and more, jailbreaking or unlocking of the iPhone 4S, becomes more popular every day.
Is Jailbreaking iPhone 4s Legal?
Jailbreaking is a legal, above-board activity and The Restoration Reinvigoration team is one which is dedicated to creating such solutions. This is a talented and brilliant team, working hard and passionately behind the scenes to free up their iphones and those of others. The redsnOw 15b 1 is their latest find. Here are some of its features:
1. Restores from any 5.x iOS to any other (up, down or the same) 5.x iOS on all devices as long as you have the correct blobs
2. Cydia is now included in the tethered 6.0 jailbreak on A4 devices
3. Automatically “Just Boots” tethered when qualifying A4 device connects in DFU mode
4. Untethered 6.0 jailbreak on old-bootrom 3GS
5. Untethered 6.0 hactivation on any 3GS or iPhone4
6. Directly restores pre-A5 devices to earlier firmware — no more complicated 15-step how-to’s with stitching, iTunes errors, and “hosts file” concerns
7. Fetches new signed blobs for any IPSW (present or future — no redsn0w update required) using Extras->SHSH Blobs->New
8. Blocks the BB update for any 3GS or iPhone4 restore (past, present, or future — no redsn0w update required) using Extras->Even More->Restore
9. Deactivates any iPhone, useful for testing your “official” unlock status through iTunes.
10.Activation status shown on “Even more” page
11.Significantly more info returned by “Identify” button when device is in Normal mode
12.Tethered jailbreak of ATV2 supported (but the only thing available for it is the SSH2 custom bundle available here — no Cydia yet. You must use “Select IPSW” for tethered boot of ATV2 for now).
13.Auto-exit WTF mode for older devices with broken buttons
14.Whenever a set of blobs is fetched remotely from Apple or Cydia. Redsn0w also saves them locally.
For future restoring convenience, you need to submit all of your past and present TinyUmbrella blobs to Cydia. Resubmitting is okay.
Here are more details on the iOS5-to-iOS5 restores for A5+ devices:
(Note:pre-A5 devices don’t have these restrictions — just follow the redsn0w prompts during the restore)
1. Redsn0w now lets you restore an A5+ device from any iOS5 to any other iOS5 as long as you have correct 5.x blobs for the starting and ending points of the restoration.
Ø AP tickets eliminated – “higher-version only”; comparison of firmware restores (just like BB tickets did for the baseband)
Ø Example restores supported by redsn0w if you have the correct blobs: 5.1.1-to-5.0.1, 5.0.1-to-5.1.1, 5.1.1-to-5.1.1, 5.0.1-to-5.0.1
Ø If you don’t have the blobs locally, let redsn0w try to fetch them remotely (redsn0w always tries both Apple and Cydia). Any succesful remote fetch also saves a local copy too.
1. Important: You do not qualify for iOS5-to-iOS5 restores if you got to your current 5.x through an OTA update
• The tickets saved by Cydia, redsn0w, and TinyUmbrella do not cover OTA update ramdisk images
• Devices fresh from factory may fall in the “does not qualify” category
• It’s okay if you previously got to 5.x via an OTA update, as long as your current 5.x was installed through a normal iTunes restore.
• Redsn0w detects an OTA/normal-restore AP ticket mismatch very early, so if you don’t know your status you can still try. Any device in recovery mode after such a mismatch can boot normally again just by going back to “Even More” screen from the “Restore” screen.
1. Unlike the A4 devices, redsn0w can’t (usefully) prevent the baseband updates of A5+ iPhones and iPads.
* Redsn0w automatically flashes the currently signed baseband when it does A5+ restores, even if those basebands didn’t come with the original firmware
* The least-tested baseband update code in redsn0w is for iPad2,3 and iPad3,2.
1. iPad2 owners (all three models) with saved 4.x blobs may use those, even from 6.x
• If you have both 4.x and 5.x iPad2 blobs, you can always get to 5.x via the 4.x blobs, even if you’re currently on 6.x
• You cannot get to 5.x from 6.x without the 4.x blobs (but you may still qualify for the iOS5-to-iOS5 restore described above)
This only applies to iPad2 owners (they’re the only A5+ devices that ever had a public 4.x FW)redsn0w still supports (but doesn’t require) jailbreaking A5+ devices at 5.0.1 and 5.1.1. It’s always muchfaster to jailbreak those FW versions with a freshly-restored device, before letting iTunes restore from a saved user land backup.
Redsn0w will hactivate your 3GS or iPhone4 if you run it before the device is activated. Due to the current tethered 6.x JB status, redsn0w now
hactivates 6.x withoutrequiring prior tethered boots. If you accidentally hactivate with redsn0w, use the “Deactivate” checkbox available from the
1. Redsn0w lets you “Fetch” the SHSH blobs currently flashed onto your pre-A5 device
• Use this if you’re at 5.x or 4.x but without having saved your blobs when the window was open
• This is only useful when Apple is no longer signing the firmware, otherwise Cydia/redsn0w “New”/TinyUmbrella blobs are superior (but you’re welcome to fetch your 6.0 blobs this way anyway)
• Fetching blobs in this fashion will automatically forward them up to Cydia, as well as save a local copy
Now Where do I Make my iPhone 4s Jailbreaking Happen?
By now you may just be anxious to access these facilities. IME1 based unlocks of iPhones are available at very nice cost on Iphoneite.